Our busy Communications Team handles thousands of media enquiries a year from local, regional, national and international media.
We work to provide regular, factual, honest and open information about the Welsh Ambulance Service, as well as promoting the achievements of our staff.
Press office hours are 8.30am-4.30pm, Monday to Friday.
For media enquiries during these hours, e-mail WAS.Communications@wales.nhs.uk or call 01745 532511.
What we can help with
- Brief details of incidents in public places – we will need the date, time and location of the incident to be able to provide any information
- Statement or interview requests
- Filming requests
- General questions about the Welsh Ambulance Service
Information we can’t provide
- Details of incidents at private addresses
- Patient information which is considered to be sensitive or confidential
- Confirmation of a death
- Condition checks on patients who are no longer in our care
- Details may be restricted if the incident relates to an actual or potential crime
- Freedom of Information requests – please direct these to FOI.firstname.lastname@example.org
Out of Hours
For urgent media enquiries on evenings, weekends and Bank Holidays which cannot wait until the next working day, journalists can telephone our control room and ask to speak to the Duty Control Manager.
Telephone numbers for the three regional control rooms are contained in the auto-generated response you will get by emailing WAS.Communications@wales.nhs.uk
Please note that we cannot provide sweep incident checks or answer non-urgent enquiries out of hours, so please do not contact us with a routine enquiry during this time as it will remain unanswered until the next working day.
The out of hours function can only help with:
- Major incidents or significant incidents
- Serious threat to the health of the community
- Disruption to the service
- Examples: terrorism, severe weather, chemical/nuclear incidents, large scale road traffic collisions involving multiple vehicles and casualties
If your query cannot be dealt with by the Duty Control Manager, they will pass your details to an on-call member of the Communications Team who will contact you.
Please make sure you provide your contact details, including name, media organisation and any deadline associated with your enquiry.