Careers in the Welsh Ambulance Service
Our workforce is made up of over 3,500 remarkable people who contribute to the delivery of world-class patient care across Wales, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Whether you work in a patient-facing role or within our range of support services, the work that you do enables us to provide high quality care, wherever and whenever we’re needed.
We remain committed to developing our remarkable people, supporting them in their development and with their individual career ambitions. We provide access to regular, high quality training, CPD opportunities and an annual Personal Development Review to ensure that every employee can be their very best.
We recognise that for our people to be remarkable, they must be encouraged to bring their whole selves to work. Consequently at WAST, we have created an environment where diversity is celebrated and inclusivity matters. We are also keen to ensure that our workforce represents the diversity of the population of the communities which we serve, and are particularly keen to hear from members of the BME Community and Disability Groups
Careers within the Welsh Ambulance Services NHS Trust are diverse and varied, with opportunities arising right across the service. Whatever your skills and background, you’re sure to find a career with us which is fulfilling, challenging and rewarding.
What Roles do we offer?
Our Operations Directorate provides a wealth of patient-facing roles, ranging from emergency to non-emergency work. You will relish the opportunity to develop your career in a role where no two days are ever the same, and be committed to providing the very highest level of patient care.
Within our Operations Directorate, you can find the following services:-
- Emergency Services (EMS): Perhaps our most recognisable groups of Staff, our EMS team incorporates a range of staff, including clinically trained Paramedics, Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs), Urgent Care Assistants (UCS), Advanced Paramedic Practitioners and Clinical Team Leaders. These colleagues respond to all types of emergency calls, providing frontline, appropriate clinical care and pre-hospital action. For more information on the range of roles available within our Emergency Medical Services, please visit the attached document, “Emergency Medical Service”.
In addition, our focus at the Welsh Ambulance Services NHS Trust has been increasingly on advancing our clinical practice and moving away from the archaic image of the Ambulance Service being a provider a transport. This is underpinned by the need for all aspiring Paramedics to complete a 2 year Diploma in Paramedic Science or a 3 year Degree, providing our Newly Qualified Paramedics with an increasing range of clinical skills and knowledge in order to provide the highest level of patient care within the community. Our partner University, Swansea University is the only provider of the Diploma in Paramedic Science in Wales. For further information on the course and how to apply, please visit their website here
Please also take a look at our Paramedic case study here
For more information on our progress and what sets us aside from other Ambulance Trusts, please refer to the attached document, “Becoming a Clinically- Led Ambulance Service”.
- Non-Emergency Patient Transport Services (NEPTS): Our NEPTS teams provide non-emergency transport to patients who require our help to take them to their hospital or clinic appointments. These colleagues provide care and compassion to patients, ensuring that the dignity of our patients is respected at all times and safely transporting them to their appointments and home again. For more information on the types of roles available within our NEPTS team, please refer to the attached document, “Non-Emergency Patient Transport Service”.
Please also take a look at our NEPTS Operative case study here.
- Clinical Contact Centres (CCC): Our CCC Staff know how to keep calm under pressure. From answering 999 calls to dispatching Emergency Ambulances in just a few seconds, our CCC teams are the entry point into our service and work tirelessly to ensure that appropriate help is provided as quickly as possible in an emergency situation. For more information on the types of roles available within our Clinical Contact Centres, please refer to the attached document, “Clinical Contact Centres”.
Please also take a look at our Call Handler case study here.
- NHS Direct Wales (NHSDW)/111: Our NHSDW/111 Staff provide telephone healthcare advice and information for non-urgent calls, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They also undertake call handling and clinical triage for GP Out of Hours services. For further information on the types of roles available within NHSDW/111, please refer to the attached document, “NHS Direct Wales”.
Please also take a look at our Nurse Advisor case study here.
In addition to our operational roles, there are a range of opportunities to work in our Corporate Services and support service functions, as follows:-
- Admin and Secretarial posts
- Finance and ICT
- Health Informatics
- Workforce and Organisational Development (including HR and Training roles)
- Health and Safety
- Putting Things Right/Patient Safety Concerns
- Clinical Audit
- Fleet & Vehicle Workshops
- Counter Fraud
For further information on our Corporate Services functions, please refer to the attached document, “Corporate Services”.
What are the benefits of working for WAST?
In addition to offering you job satisfaction, we are able to offer our #RemarkablePeople the following benefits:-
- Holiday entitlements of 27 days per year, plus 8 Bank Holidays, increasing to 29 days per year after 5 years’ service, and 33 days per year after 10 years’ service
- Pay enhancements for unsocial hours worked and overtime opportunities
- An annual Personal Annual Development Review to support your career ambitions
- Access to regular, high quality training and CPD opportunities
- Career & salary progression (via Agenda for Change, Wales)
- Membership of the NHS Pension Scheme
- Opportunities for part time working/flexible working
- Access to a range of Wellbeing support services to support your physical and mental health and wellbeing, including counselling services, fast-track physiotherapy services and annual flu vaccinations
In addition to our paid employees, the Welsh Ambulance Services NHS Trust is supported by an array of remarkable volunteers right across Wales who play an integral role in our service. From Volunteer Car Drivers for NEPTS through to Community First Responders who may be the first on scene following a 999 call, our volunteers also enable the Trust to serve our communities throughout Wales. For further information on our volunteering opportunities as a Community First Responder, please refer to the attached document, “Corporate Services”.
Please also look at our CFR Trainer case study here.
Entry Level Opportunities
We are keen to support those at the start of their careers, following a career break or to help those long-term unemployed to return to work. We are also keen to hear from those who have perhaps never considered a career with the Ambulance Service, and from under-represented groups within the community. Consequently, we offer a range of opportunities to gain experience with us via the following routes:-
- Work Experience
- Go Wales Placements
Please contact us for further details of these programmes and placements.
Taster Days/Finding out More
From time to time, we run a series of Taster Days and Open Days to give potential future applicants a broader understanding of the types of roles available across the Trust. To find out more about our forthcoming events, please follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook.
Links to our Current Vacancies
For details of our current vacancies, please click here or visit www.jobs.nhs.uk to apply. Don’t forget that you can set up an alert via NHS Jobs which will generate an email to you when we are advertising for our vacancies.
Ask us a Question
We do hope that you’ve found the information about careers at the Welsh Ambulance Services NHS Trust useful. Should you have any further questions, or require any further information regarding working for us, please submit your question here.